Thursday, 23 August 2012

Losing Grip



On Sunday I spotted this little grasshopper that did not give up for more than 150 km, hanging on my car mirror while I was doing about 125km/hour between Winterthur and Chur in Switzerland. This super grasshopper amazed me with his dedication as the wind blew him around violently and his little body was thrown around while hanging onto the side mirror for dear life.  I could not help thinking of my own life and how we all go through these turbulences that just want to rip us apart while we hang on like it's the last moment. You could just never give up and in that manner you can never lose.




Then at that very same Sunday... my all-time director.. and filmmaker from whom I learned the most, gave up on life. It's crazy..  You think if you could just get there you would be happy. If I could just do that I would be happy... and then this happens. Mr Tony Scott was a hero in my eyes. Films like True Romance, Man on Fire and Spy Game helped me in recognizing a style in my own films. The film from which I learned the most especially when it comes to editing, is the short BMW film, Beat the Devil. In my eyes a master piece. I even once wrote Tony a letter, including 2 Cuban cigars, when I picked up a sound effect from a film that was also used in the BMW short. Well now I will never know if he got the letter or smoked the cigars. So sad... 

And just when I thought the grasshopper was invincible, he ventured too far to the side and lost his grip....